Tuesday, August 2, 2011

BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST [A MUCH NEEDED DIVERSION]


Took my thirteen-year-old son and my days away from being thirteen-year-old grandson and their friend to see the documentary BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST, a much needed diversion from the current babble about the disappointing "debt ceiling" and "deficit reduction" so-called "deal."

I always dug QUEST from the first time I heard the side and then saw the video for "I Lost My Wallet in El Segundo" (or whatever the exact title was). But hearing Q-tip explain the origins of that number in this compelling (at least to me and the three teenage boys I saw it with) film made me appreciate the accomplishment of it even more.

It's a testimony to the creativity of the original four members, as well as a fascinating articulation of a record-making perspective that according to some pretty reliable sources in the film made this team of rappers one of hip hop's seminal and genre changing innovative forces.

But mostly it was just fun to see where they came from and ended up, so far. A story well told (shot and edited) by the actor Michael Rappaport, who actually I usually find abrasive and normally wouldn't find his hand at the helm a recommendation. But my thirteen-year-old digs him and I respect his taste as much as anyone I love and admire, and he was right. Rappaport did a pretty sweet job pulling a story together and making it work.

And what a relief to be in an air conditioned theater away from the news and the net and the rapidly becoming boring repetitive spins on our political mess. If it's playing anywhere near you, it's worth the price of admission for my taste.

No comments: