Sunday, October 28, 2012

ARGO

A lot of friends have been recommending this movie. And now I know why. Don't know how it might work on the small screen, but on a big one with a great sound system like the one me and a friend were at tonight: BAM! Had me tense as a mammyjammer even though I knew how it ended!

Ben Aflleck has now proven himself to be one of our time's great directors, and a pretty kickass actor as well. And this flick is his best as a director yet. It isn't perfect but it's as close as anything I've seen this year. The casting and acting all excellent. A lot of familiar faces (Tate Donovan does a great job, personal disclosure we worked together back in the '80s and I've always dug him and his work but he seems to be getting even better as he ages) and a lot of new ones but so much of the detail of this flick seems so specific and relevant it made me feel it was happening in real time.

It's late and I'm too tired to be as articulate about my reaction as I'd like to be. Suffice it to say I highly recommend catching this flick and I hope Affleck gets nominated for a bunch of awards as the director of it. He deserves it. Stay for the credits too, they make his accomplishment even more impressive.

[PS: I meant to point out that national treasure Alan Arkin may be the best thing in this movie, and there's a lot of good things in it.]

1 comment:

tpw said...

Dear M:
I was actually able to read your review, as I saw this movie last week. I thought it was good, well-acted and perfectly cast, but I don't really think it's an exceptional film. I liked it, it was exactly what I expected, but I definitely wasn't knocked out by it.